— Colin Joliat (@Boozist) February 27, 2016
Wiznitzer’s standard Old Fashioned recipe:
- 2 parts Maker’s 46
- 3 dashes bitters
- Simple syrup
- Citrus of choice
In a rocks glass, muddle choice of syrup with choice of sliced citrus (orange, lemon, grapefruit). Add ice, Maker’s 46 and bitters. Stir and enjoy!
While that bottle of Angostura and a standard simple syrup are tried and true, Wiznitzer shared a few ways to make your Old Fashioned recipe a bit more interesting. A couple are as easy as a trip to Whole Foods, but if you’re in the market for new cocktail enhancers you in luck as well.
- Step up your syrup:
- Make some cinnamon-infused or tea-infused simple syrup*
- Use Cocktail & Sons Spiced Demerara Syrup
- Boost your bitters:
- Skip the Angostura and pick up Barrel Aged Havanna & Hide Bitters from 1821
- Giddieup you garnish (sorry, that was a stretch):
- Use star anise instead of citrus
*Tea or cinnamon-infused simple syrup: Bring one part water to a boil and add equal parts sugar; stir until dissolved. Reduce heat and simmer one cinnamon stick for 10-15 minutes. Cool for one hour, remove cinnamon stick and chill. For tea-infused, remove water and sugar mixture from heat, add tea bags and infuse for 5 minutes.